Translate

Thursday 8 January 2015

Assassin's Creed Unity

 Assassin's Creed Unity, the latest title in the Assassin's Creed series and one that I was excited for. I have been a fan of the AC series since the first assassin Altair burst onto the scene to slaughter templar after templar.

First things first, AC Unity does not have the same multi-player options as previous titles, nigh, they've gone for a more co-op route which, for all intents and purposes works really well, I have encountered some lag on the Xbox One version however, not all the time but it does happen.

Do I think this was a good move for the AC series, I must admit I enjoyed the co-op missions more than I did the multi-player modes in the previous titles.

SPOILERS!!! If you do not wish to know the end boss battle of AC Unity, skip down now.

I am utterly disappointed with the end boss battle of AC Unity, it almost felt lazy in comparison to the fight you have against Bellac, that fight was worthy of an Assassin, it was worthy of the AC series and I found myself loving every moment of the fight with Bellac. Nothing really out of the ordinary for other games but it was a true breath of fresh air to the AC series with how the fight flows and because of this, I was excited for how the final fight would be.

But, I was alas disappointed, there was no worthy and epic final fight it was more of a lazy "wait for him to round and then stab him" rinse and repeat and if he sees you, you will get shot by the Sword of Eden.

The fight felt lazy and ultimately, after the amazing fight against Bellac, just didn't seem right. However, I do have hope for the future. Because I have seen what they can do with the Bellac fight, I want to see more of these epic conflicts between characters, it's how it should be done, and less of the lazy route like what was done with the final boss.

SPOILERS END!!!!

Okay, now we have that business out of the way I'm going to discuss something I am excited for, something that was shown in AC Unity but I don't think has gotten as much recognition as it should of. The Sword of Eden, now I know it may just seem as an ordinary over powered sword and for the most part you would be right, but allow me to try and explain what this could mean for the AC series.

We already know there are more artifacts than merely the Apple of Eden. Assassin's Creed 2 introduced the staff that would be used along side the Apple of Eden, although, the staff seemed to only have a minor part.

The sword however, has a greater part to play within the story of AC Unity but not as much as the Apple of Eden. did in Ezio and Altair series.

The artifacts of Eden are something I am eager to see expanded on, something I would love to see more of. AC Black Flag also introduced an artifact where you could see through the eyes of those you had the blood of, the possibilities for the Eden artifacts to enhance the story of AC is incredible and I pray that they do not waste the chance to include even more artifacts and make them play a more vital role.

Now, enough with the fan-speculation and hopes, let's get to something I felt was done fairly well but could of been improved. The relationship between Arno and Elise. This is something the AC series may of attempted for the first time, but it has been in the works for a while, if you look at the long run.

Conor from AC 3, his father was a Templar, the Grand Master of the Templar order at the time no less. Edward from Black Flag infiltrated the Templars although, it can be argued he didn't know about them at the time.

The relationship between the Assassin's and the Templars has been growing and expanding over the series and I am hoping they expand this even more, the game Assassin's Creed Rogue where you play as a former Assassin turned Templar proves that there is potential for even more games in the series, maybe one that focuses the character as a Templar instead of an Assassin.

How does this tie in to Arno and Elise you may ask? Well, while I do enjoy the idea of them being lovers, I couldn't help but get an almost Romeo and Juliet vibe from which, while not bad could of been expanded on a lot more. Instead of Arno running off to the Assassins, I would of liked to see some sort of more gritty confrontation. Arno going after Elise and possibly being dragged into the Templar order and then defecting to the Assassins or possibly not. It has been proven through Arno's character that he would sacrifice everything to be with Elise, so in another version, Arno could of been a Templar by Elise's side.

There is a lot the series can do now with the ideas of character development between the two factions and with the inclusion of the Sages in Black Flag and in Unity, it only opens even more doors.

I feel I have gotten a little off topic but I do hope this was if not the least bit helpful. Assassin's Creed Unity is a good game, it is not great as it still suffers from some glitches and bugs and... well, the disappointing end boss fight.

Because of this I can only recommend you go out and buy this game if you are a loyal fan of the AC series like myself and the Co-op elements do improve the game if slightly.

So, as it is I can only give AC Unity a 7/10, it would of been an 8 if it was more polished without the glitches and the bugs. It loses a great deal because of the sheer disappointment that was the final boss fight.

Anyway guys, this has been OniOfTaint, this has been my Assassin's Creed Unity review/discussion and I'll see you all next time. Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment