Translate

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Resident Evil 5 (WTF)

So... what can I say about Resident Evil 5. Well, it's a Resident Evil game so that should give you an idea of what it is, now, I have always been a fan of Zombies and I love it when people try to make unique Zombies and the way Resident Evil handled it, especially in one of my favourite games Operation Raccoon City, I thought they did it very well, I enjoyed the game and I loved the way it worked..... in 5 however, I struggle to find myself believing these are Zombies or rather, a new breed of B.O.W which Resident Evil has a lot of, in great variety, don't get me wrong.

Resident Evil 5 to me feels... not really like a Survival Horror game which Resident Evil seemed to be about. It is the beginning, in the beginning it is a fight for survival but not in the same realm as say Minecraft or How To Survive. Now, before anyone rages at me for comparing Resident Evil to Minecraft, I'm going off of the survival element only, that is the only comparison I am making. Minecraft has you crafting and building and hunting to survive... Resident Evil has you using sprays that heal you.

Now, that is true to the original games, so I give them props for that, but I wish there were more Survival elements, like in Dead Rising how you can combine weapons, something to make the survival aspect more... survival like I guess. Now... this brings me to my second BIGGEST problem with the game, only the second. 

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MY RESIDENT EVIL!? After several chapters in the game, it turns from basically a Horde mode shooting gallery with some interesting and unique bosses, even if the battles do feel the same. To, a shooter, literally, you start having gun fights with the Infected. Now, I actually like the idea of Zombies using guns, but I don't think having them use cover and TALK! Is alright, but then again. I'm not sure the enemies in Resident Evil 5 are actually Zombies, I think they are more along the lines of B.O.Ws if I am honest.

Now, I'll save my biggest problem and it is big, this caused me to rage out for several weeks because I love Resident Evil, and I felt this was a mistake on everyone's side. 
Before that however, let's get onto some of the other aspects. In single-player the A.I partner Sheva is completely useless, she will often use vital and scarce healing herbs on minor wounds when they heal about 50% percent of your health. Along with other problems such as her getting in your way during tight areas and walking into your line of fire when in a fire fight.
Co-Op does get rid of these problems but you are still faced with incredibly stiff controls, it's like you yourself are a Zombie, with how stiff you move around.
I do like how you been conserve ammo, it does add this depth of survival to the game where you will be swarmed by enemies and need to focus on getting the head shots. But, in this game even those might not finish off your enemies. 

NOW! We come to my main problem with this game and this is purely my problem with the game, I don't know if other people feel the same way and the game has been out long enough that I feel there aren't any spoilers in me saying this but, the final fight against the returning antagonist Albert Wesker, my favourite character in the Resident Evil series, is BORING! 
It is the same move around and stay out of his way so he cannot hit you. Basically the same as the other fights you have with him, except in the final fight, he doesn't do that cool. Matrix style phase shifting to dodge bullets. He just soaks them up like a sponge. It's boring, not deserving of what 

Albert Wesker is, which, in my own opinion, is the same as what Pyramid Head is to Silent Hill, he's the face of the series, he's the main villain.
Not to mention the fact you kill him by shooting him in the face with RPG rockets in a volcano, reminded me a little of that James Bond enemy but I cannot remember the name... Goldfinger I think but don't quote me on it. 

I wish, they had done something more with Wesker, I liked what happened to him at the end of the game, I liked how he fused with the Uroboros and became this evolved version of himself, but I hated how boring the fight was and how he lost some of the abilities that made him Wesker. 
I know you can play as his son in the sequel and apparently, he can use some of his father's abilities but not to the same standard. 

Anyway, I felt like I have said all I can, if you are a fan of Resident Evil, I'd recommend a buying the game at a reduced price, possibly a rental only if you can find one. Or, watch Yogscast Hannah and Duncan and I'm sure many others play through the game on YouTube to see it for yourselves. 
Resident Evil 5 in my own opinion, is by no means a "terrible" game, but between the stiff controls, the cheesy dialogue and the down right insulting end to my favourite character of the series Albert Wesker, I can only and I WILL only give Resident Evil 5 a 5/10. 

It is average at best on single player, if not for memories sake of some old faces returning, it would of been lower, possibly a 3. Co-op does improve the game, I will admit, I'd recommend playing the game with a friend to get rid of the pointless companion A.I. In Co-op, the game is at best a 6/10. Above average but nothing special. 

If they had smoother controls, better A.I for single player and a god-damned BETTER WESKER FIGHT, the game might of gotten, for me at least a 8/10, possibly a 9. Anyway guys, this has been OniOfTaint, this has been my "late" review of Resident Evil 5 but by now, you can probably guess I wasn't in the best of moods to review this title at the time.... Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment